Wednesday 17 January 2007

Tales of the Unemployed Part 2 (Not Quite Unemployed, Just Unpaid)

Well well it's been a week since the last blog already. We seem to have managed to fill our time, which is probably unsurprising as even I (Hollie) have managed to procure some form of meaningful employment this week. Having pursued the publishing thing, I applied for work experience at a major publishing house and promptly got 2 weeks in the publicity department.

3 days in and I'm repeating, mantra-style, 'It's good for the CV, it's good for the CV (and I get free books...)'. The distinct disadvantages of working somewhere for free - and in fact, PAYING to be there - are that:
a) everyone at the said place of employment knows you're desperate and will do any job, no matter how menial, in order to ingratiate yourself with them.
b) leading on from this, there is no need for them to bother learning your name or indeed refer to you in any other terms than 'the work experience girl'
c) whenever you're photocopying/cutting things out/sticking bits of paper to things, there's a little voice in your head saying, 'you're not being paid, nur nur ne nur nur'.

Added to this is the feeling that I'm wandering around in a world vaguely reminiscent of 'The Devil Wears Prada'. It turns out that book publicity is quite closely related to the magazine world, which means that everyone is extremely thin and (in my experience so far) extremely female. I saw someone eat today and I nearly had a heart attack. I'm not saying that I'm so blimp-like that this alone would discount me from the industry, but it's not really my style. Whilst I think the work that the girls are doing is quite interesting it's not screaming 'Future Career' at me. Then again, does anything? As always, I wish that someone would give me a big pile of money to read things and possibly write things as well. Sadly this job does not seem to exist (please someone let me know if I'm wrong).

In other news, Sarah interviewed a man about a club night today and then wrote about it. That's more interesting than my life, definately.

Right I'm going to stop ranting now and watch Desperate Housewives or something. I do enjoy working Monday - Friday in a macabre sort of way, because it means the weekends are something to enjoy rather than being like the weekdays, but without This Morning. Isn't that philosophical.

No comments: